Detecting dark spots or patches on your skin, especially around your mouth could be due to hyperpigmentation. It occurs when there is too much melanin production.
Hyperpigmentation can be a struggle to fade from darker skin tones. But it's not impossible. So, if you see any hyperpigmentation around your mouth, it could be a sign to look into the possible causes and adjust your skincare routine.
Ava Estell has created a range of skincare products to help target uneven skin tone, dark patches, and other hyperpigmentation signs. Let's dive into how to get rid of hyperpigmentation around the mouth with these products and how your skin will soon see enhancements in glow and texture.
[Disclaimer: Our guide provides readers with a range of skincare products that target hyperpigmentation around the mouth. We recommend speaking with a registered GP or dermatologist for personalised information on your skin type before trying the ingredients we mention if you're unsure.]
What Causes Hyperpigmentation Around Mouth?
Hyperpigmentation around the mouth can have multiple causes. We outlined some common skin condition reasons below.
- Hormonal: In some instances, it's triggered by melasma, which forms dark patches on the face of women during pregnancy or when they take contraceptive medicines.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: Dark spots and dry patches may form from trauma, including skin injuries like rashes or burns. It can also be from specific conditions like acne or eczema that can irritate around the mouth, especially when it's dry.
- Genetics: It may be in your DNA that you're more likely to have a more prevalent production of melanin around your mouth than other individuals, depending on the weather and your skin type.
- Sun UV rays: The sun can hurt your skin, especially without the appropriate sun protection. And if you have dark marks, the sun can make them appear darker instead of leaving you with a brighter complexion.
- Skincare treatments: Some treatments may be irritating to dark skin types. For example, if you want a specific type of laser treatment and your skin is sensitive, it may worsen dark marks and produce excess melanin.
Treatment Options for Hyperpigmentation Around Mouth
Several treatment options for mouth hyperpigmentation exist. Some remedies can take your skincare regime to the next level, while others can come with risks when thinking about how to get rid of hyperpigmentation around mouths.
Natural home remedies are excellent additions to your skincare routine. For solutions on how to fix hyperpigmentation around the mouth, you may be able to find some products with active ingredients in your home.
- Vitamin C in the foods and drinks you consume helps produce collagen to maintain your skin health. It's also an antioxidant, so it reduces the appearance of dark spots.
- Turmeric is also helpful in fading dark patches due to sun exposure and age spots. It helps remove dead skin cells to make way for brighter skin naturally.
- Aloe vera gel from the plant is another ideal active ingredient. It's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, helping to stop irritation around the mouth and improve the health of your skin.
Alternatively, some treatments may not be the best hyperpigmentation around mouth treatment for darker skin types, including dry skin or sensitive skin.
They can come with risks and potential aggravation to the skin barrier while leading to more redness and dark spots rather than getting rid of them. We recommend professional consultations before going ahead with treatments like:
- Laser therapy
- Chemical peels
- Strong-concentration medication and treatment creams
Products to Help Reduce Mouth Hyperpigmentation
Ava Estell has created transforming skincare products to tackle uneven skin tone, sun damage, and dark spot hyperpigmentation around the mouth. Our top three picks include:
The oil-infused Micellar Cleanser is one of the best hyperpigmentation around mouth treatments. It contains lactic acid, which helps improve dark patches and dullness to reveal brighter skin. It also has jojoba oil to relieve stinging or irritation if the area feels dry.
Manuka Honey Face Mask
If you're wondering how to get rid of hyperpigmentation around your mouth with a face mask, then the Manuka Honey Face Mask should be a go-to choice. It contains the superfood manuka honey, which calms inflamed skin. It also has aloe vera to help soothe any redness and reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation over time.
Despite the name, you can use the Night Cream in the morning and evening. It's perfect for reaching stubborn age spots and dark patches.
Its lightweight but moisturising vitamin E oil concentrate and shea butter help fade dark marks.
You can find these standout products in Ava Estell's Complete Facial Care Set. This set tackles hyperpigmentation around the mouth before it worsens through cleansing, exfoliation, a treatment mask, and a treatment cream.
Before and After Photos of Hyperpigmentation Treatment Around Mouth
Preventing Hyperpigmentation Around Mouth: Choose Ava Estell
Darker skin tones are more likely to experience hyperpigmentation around the mouth and other facial areas leading to dark spots, patches, and a change in skin texture.
It can be frustrating to try and fade, especially if you've noticed it for a while. But thankfully, with the skincare products from Ava Estell, you'll discover the most effective hyperpigmentation around mouth treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I getting hyperpigmentation around my mouth?
Various reasons could be behind your hyperpigmentation around the mouth, including too much exposure to the sun, hormonal imbalance, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and certain cosmetics or medicines.
How do you get rid of dark pigmentation around your mouth naturally?
Use naturally derived skincare products. Ava Estell's Complete Facial Care Set can help with every aspect of your skincare routine to tackle hyperpigmentation.
How long does it take for hyperpigmentation to go away?
This will vary based on the source of your hyperpigmentation and your lifestyle. For example, if you're out in the sun without sun protection, it could hinder the progress.
What is the pigmentation above my lips?
This is known as hyperpigmentation. The skin produces an excess amount of melanin. It can cause insecurity, but thankfully, it isn't permanent.